Zajac Ranch for Children is situated on over 40 acres of pristine forested land near Mission, BC. During the summer months, Zajac Ranch provides camps for children and young adults with chronic, life-threatening and/or debilitating conditions. In the off-season, the Ranch welcomes school groups and private rentals. Revenue raised from site rentals goes to supporting Zajac Ranch for Children medical summer camps.
As part of the leadership team, the Director of Nursing plays a pivotal role in ensuring the health and wellness needs of the campers, staff and volunteers are met to achieve a successful and safe camp experience.
This is a permanent part-time position with minimal hours starting in the winter months and increasing hours leading up to and during the summer medical camp season.
· Oversee the medical services of the camp and operation of 24-hour Medical Centre.
· Oversee medical equipment, medications, supplies, and inventory of each.
· Review camper medical application forms, needs and requirements and provide recommendations for the camp program and/or program enhancements to benefit children’s wellness, cognitive, physical, and emotional development.
· Recruit, interview, select, orient, and evaluate volunteer medical staff.
· Schedule 24 hour medical/nursing coverage during camp programs.
· Provide medical orientation during staff and volunteer training and orientation.
· In conjunction with the Kitchen Manager, plan appropriate nutritional menus which address the needs of each medical group and plan for any individual specific requirements i.e. allergies or special needs.
· Lead on-site medical procedures upon camper arrival and camper departure. At the close of each camp, review any medical and/or health incidents.
· Assure medications and procedures are administered properly and appropriate records are maintained i.e. log book, health department report, incident reports.
· Prepare and distribute medical equipment and supplies to program areas and cabins (i.e. First aid kits).
· BSN required
· Registered Nursing License
· Valid CPR certification; adult and child (ARC or AHA); PALS preferred
· Pediatric Hematology/Oncology nursing experience preferred
· Pediatric clinical experience required at least 3 years preferred
· Proficiency in procedures involving intravenous access and infusion
· Ability to commute to the Ranch when necessary i.e. camp arrival and departure
· Day shift
· On call
· Salary: $40 - $59 based on experience level.
· Signing bonus option.
· Hybrid position: This is primarily a remote position with attendance required on-site at the Ranch during check-in and check-out.
· Deluxe accommodation in the new nurses’ residence for overnight stays.
© 2023 BC Camps Association