Camp Director - Job description
Located on the shores of Stave Lake in Mission, BC, just one hour east of Vancouver, Zajac Ranch for Children is situated on over 40 acres of pristine forested land. During the summer months, Zajac Ranch provides camps for children and young adults with chronic, life-threatening and/or debilitating conditions. In the off-season, Zajac Ranch welcomes school groups and private rentals. Revenue raised from site rentals goes to supporting Zajac Ranch for Children medical summer camps.
The Zajac Ranch for Children is seeking a motivated and experienced individual for the position of Camp Director who will work with the Zajac Ranch team to carry out our mission to develop and operate an accessible, innovative, and inclusive facility for children and young adults with medical conditions, who otherwise would not have the opportunity to attend camp.
- Design, deliver, and evaluate camp programs that meet the needs and interests of the camps target populations and ensure their delivery in a safe and quality manner.
- Conduct staff evaluations, camper evaluations, programming supplies inventory counts and control, and make recommendations for the following season. Operation
- Create and update programming to keep in line with current trends and Zajac Ranch mission. Programming must cater to each group based on abilities, mobility, and health concerns.
- Coordinate with Registration Coordinator to plan and cater to the needs of each group.
- Assign campers and counselors to their housing and living groups. Oversee the daily operation of the summer medical camps including food service, programs, camper and staff supervision, and health care.
- Liaising with parents and group leaders before, during, and after their camp session.
- Administer and maintain complete records during the camp, including camper lists, daily attendance, health and medical forms, and incident or accident reports.
- Provide a written report at the end of each summer medical camp session.
- At the end of the summer, receive written evaluations from staff, prepare written evaluations of the staff for the personnel files, and prepare a written report for the Zajac Foundation office.
- Develop and maintain an effective evaluation system of all staff and programs. Develop and maintain an effective screening and referral process for reported child abuse, neglect, and accusation of misconduct.
- Work collaboratively with the Maintenance Facilitator, Nursing Director and Chef.
- Management / hosting of rental groups to ensure adequate staff and / or volunteers for programming and services, including food service.
- Assist in creating and monitoring the budget for the camp operations.
- Assist in the fundraising strategies for the camp program and facilities.
- Interview and hire staff in discussion with the management team.
- Directly supervise, schedule, and coordinate Zajac Ranch staff including, but not limited to, the Assistant Camp Director, counselors, and any volunteers.
- Assist with marketing Zajac Ranch as an off-season rental facility, including attending trade shows, school presentations, and promotional campaigns.
- Conduct other duties as required by the General Manager or the Chairman. Skills and Experience
Qualifications & Skills:
- Must be at least 25 years of age (per BC Camping Association Accreditation)
- Have a firm belief in the value of summer camp for children with special medical needs.
- Have a college or university Degree in Recreation Management or a related discipline and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of camp management experience.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, understanding, ability to be a positive role model, patience and self-control.
- Ability to plan, organize, and carry-out daily, weekly and special programs.
- Ability to supervise and evaluate staff, volunteers, and campers.
- Must have experience with managing budgets.
- Experience with developmental disabilities, special needs, and behavioural management.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to act under pressure and keep a clear head.
- Must have own transportation, possess a valid driver’s license and be willing to live on site year-round
- Have computer skills and data management experience, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Hold valid Standard First Aid and CPR Level C or the ability to obtain.
- Possess and maintain a clear Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- On-Site Accommodations provided in a very comfortable 2 bedroom home
***Signing bonus available for the right applicant
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mission, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Are you fully vaccinated?
Work Location: One location
Interested parties should email email@example.com